Partition of Real Property

partitionProbate estates often result in numerous persons being co-owners of real estate, and they may disagree on such things as the best way to use the land, whether or not the land should be rented or leased, or how the property should be surveyed and divided out as separate parcels among them. Under South Carolina law, any of these co-owners can file a summons and complaint for partition, asking the Court to physically divide the property, often referred to as division in kind. Or if the property cannot be so divided, then it will have to be sold by the Court, normally by public sale. It is often necessary to name multiple family members as Defendants in a partition action. My office has the experience to represent you in such matters.